Xander and Curtis

Xander and Curtis
Our little men

Monday, February 21, 2011

A Nighttime Stroll Down Main in Mesa

This statue of Humpty Dumpty cracked me up mainly because it was in front of a beer and wine bar.  Was Humpty Dumpty drunk?  Is this a story to tell people to drink responsibly?  I'm not sure but it was funny to me at the time.  Kind of says, don't get too happy during Happy Hour.

This next statue I had to get a picture of as soon as I saw it and I ran down there to make sure it wouldn't get too dark before I could snap some pictures of it.
On a road trip Pam and I spotted a large animal just walking along the side of the road.  At first it looked like a calf.  But it wasn't quite walking right to be a cow.  We took a closer look, it had enormous Dumbo like ears and so we were thinking it was probably a donkey.  The car got closer and revealed finally that the animal that we were looking at was in fact the largest and fattest pig either of us had ever seen.
Later when I got my new camera I was talking to Pam about what kinds of pictures I wanted to get and mentioned that I wanted to get some of the animals that wandered into the streets of Pinon all the time, she replied that only one animal was worthy of a picture and that was the pig.  "A pig that size, "We'll see him again, he'll be hard to miss."
My thoughts were, "A pig that size can't have long to live, cause there is enough bacon on that fellow to feed a family of five breakfast for two years."
The statue made me think of that since it is of a fat pig, "Big Charlie Black," is the name of the statue.  The pig has an itch behind its ear but is too fat to reach it.


Poor Charlie Black, there he is trying to lift his foot up.


The next statue is of an newspaper boy and is entitled Truth.  Newspaper boys really are quite important whether they stand on street corners, ride bikes, or in the back of Mom and Dad's van their job brings and has brought people the news for generations.  And of course the Mesa Temple, a place where truth is learned.  I decided to get a different kind of shot of the temple and focus on getting the reflection in the fountain, the other two I took captured the reflection better but also aren't nearly as straight as this one.

The bell in front of Taco Bell is actually a part of the Permanent Statue Collection of Mesa.  It's fun because it is a real bell that you can ring, and it even sounds nice.

The top of these two is of a Native warrior.  And the next one of course is of one of my favorite animals, the wolf.  I checked out Sean and Keith's wolf design tee shirt and its actually pretty cool, even if it is making fun of people who wear wolf tee shirts.


No comments:

Post a Comment