Xander and Curtis

Xander and Curtis
Our little men

Thursday, July 7, 2011

June 4th

We left June 2nd and arrived at 1 am on the 3rd.  It was very nice to see everyone again and to have some extra time in the state that we weren't counting on.  The 4th was a big day for us all.  It was exciting to be able to see my niece Becca be baptized along with other people her age.  She asked me to be a witness and my Pam was able to say a prayer.  It was also nice to be able to see my Grandma Maynard who was also able to attend this service.
The baptism was very different from what I am used to.  It was a stake baptism, so about eight kids were all being baptized at the same time.  One baptismal candidate came from a very musical family which played beautifully for us.  Pam commented to me about the style in which they played and how they were trained in music.
That evening we had our Open House which was delightful.  Many old friends came and wished us well including my old Bishop from my single's ward, my high school friends Dan and Nicki, the Broadbents, and several others.  Grandma Maynard was also there along with Grandpa and Grandma Harris.
June 4th was a very nice day for us, and considering everything that was going on, it wasn't that stressful either, at least not for me, my Mom felt otherwise.
Becca's baptism got me thinking about the Holy Ghost which reminded me of something that happened to me a long time ago.  I had thought about sharing this story with her but never got around to it.
I've always been prone to think deeply, even when I was a little kid.  On one particular day I was thinking very hard about God and His Plan.  As I pondered the phone rang, I was in such deep thought that my brain could not change subjects.  Part of me was convinced that Heavenly Father must be calling me to answer my questions.  I answered the phone, "Heavenly Father?"
"Uh, no," answered a female voice which very nervously asked if my Mother was home.  I went and got her and looked at the phone longingly and wished that it was that easy to talk to God.
The reason why I had thought about sharing this with Becca is because she now has the gift of the Holy Ghost.  She can talk to her Heavenly Father through prayer whenever she wants to and she can receive answers to her questions through the Holy Ghost.  She has a "telephone" with which she can communicate both ways with Heavenly Father.
I love my family very much and I am glad that we were able to visit them and have this special day with them.  I am especially grateful that Grandma Maynard was able to attend these events and be a part of this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment