Xander and Curtis

Xander and Curtis
Our little men

Friday, July 8, 2011

Happy the Puppy

A lab mix puppy was found in a ditch, it had just barely been weened off its mother, a stray.  The puppy was taken to the house of Pam Fowles who wasn't sure she could take care of it.  Pam takes care of puppies and then puts them up for adoption.  She wasn't sure if she was up to the task of caring for this little guy.  So, she handed him off to Pam and I to take to an animal shelter in Utah to get him adopted.

The puppy loved to cuddle.  It was very apparent early on that this boy was a lover not a fighter.  He was very timid until you pet him for a while, then he'd cuddle right up to you.  He got along fine with cats.  Gus Gus came up to him and he kissed the cat right in the face.  The night before we left to go to my Grandma's funeral he fell asleep cuddled up in my lap.  I won't lie, the thoughts, "Can we keep him?" went through my brain a couple of times, but we're at our animal limit as it is.

The puppy smiled, I said, "Happy Puppy," he looked up at me and wagged his tail.  I started calling him Happy and he responded every time.  The puppy had been named.

A couple of times on the drive I thought we would give Happy away early, everyone who saw the sweet little puppy fell in love.  We met a man who was dropping off an American Bulldog that he had rescued at the shelter and he determined that he would return as soon as possible to adopt Happy.  We didn't even have to try to find that dog a home, it just happened!  

I'm very happy that Happy got a happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment