Xander and Curtis

Xander and Curtis
Our little men

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Coaching

Since  I started coaching wrestling I have lost ten pounds.  I've started eating the way I want the students to eat and I do several of the workouts with the team.  I'm also in much better moods than before, probably because of the exercise.

Coaching is hard though.  I don't remember all of the moves since it was a long time ago, Feburary 2002, that I stopped wreslting.  The moves I do remember my body just does in the situation and I have a hard time describing exactly what it is that I'm doing.  I have experineced team members show a lot of the moves and have the team do drills.  I think it is a good way to have them take ownership and learn leadership.

Jeff Fowles is a great assistant coach, I had no idea coaching involved so much paperwork.  His job is the paperwork.  I work out the team and he does the paperwork.  Also, I have Brandon Stevens, the ISS teacher helping out with stretches.  As a trained EMS and a martial artist he is familiar with the types of strains that the wrestlers will have.

Coaching has its share of frustrations.  I'm not the old coach and I will never be the old coach.  In fact I would probably consider it an insult if someone compared me to him.  Everyone who takes over a position of authority suffers through this.  Last year I wasn't Mrs. Morgan and this year I'm not Coach Teague.  Next year if I take the Cross Country job, which I've been thinking about, I won't be Coach Mann. (CC is a major maybe though, we'll see how this year goes with wrestling before I decide anything with Pam)  I really appreciate the students who have helped me out with the team and have worked to make the transition work and be easier.

My other frustration has a name, it is eligibility.  It's an eye opening experience when you have almost 20 people and someone tells you that only 6 or so will be able to participate on the team because of low grades or failure to turn in specific paperwork.

I love what I'm doing though and I consider this year to be an important learning experience in how to be a coach and how to work with students in different roles.  I am very thankful that I have the opportunity to do this.  I am also very grateful for the love and support that Pam gives me.

No comments:

Post a Comment