Xander and Curtis

Xander and Curtis
Our little men

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Harsh Winter?

All late summer and fall the kids were obsessed with telling me that Pinon is not like the rest of Arizona.  That last year there were several feet of snow and this year is supposed to be worse.  They strongly counseled me to invest in firewood, and if I let them get that far they would usually be the ones trying to sell the wood.
On average Pinon is ten degrees warmer than Logan.  My response to the kids therefore was always the same, "Harsh winter huh?  Bring it on, sounds wimpy to me."  They weren't ever sure what to say to that one so they would repeat themselves about how bad it was last year and how about 20 school days had to be cancelled because things were so bad.  I'd nod because I knew everything they were saying was true but then say, "The winter still doesn't seem like a big deal, it's much colder where I come from."
"But you don't understand Pinon winters!"
"Bring it on," I'd say.  Part of it was that was really how I felt and the other part of it was that I didn't particularly want to buy firewood right then and there.
This winter there have been a few snow storms and one true blizzard.  As my darling Pam said yesterday, "I think winter's over."  We were out on a walk with Bo and Angel.  The sun was shinning, most of the snow was already melted, and neither of us needed a coat.
"It might snow again," I commented.
"Yeah," she said, "but will it stick?"
It did get several degrees below zero on a few nights, I'd go out to feed the dogs in the morning and Bo would have a coat of frost on top of his coat of fur.  Even so, the bugs that have been going around have been the main cause of suffering this season.  Winter seems to have all but finished and its not even February yet.
Harsh Winter?  I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment