Xander and Curtis

Xander and Curtis
Our little men

Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Great Housing Debate and Gus Gus

Pam and I had already agreed that we wanted to move into a three bedroom after the wedding.  Having the extra space would accommodate both of us since we both had lots of stuff.  We realized that we were both going to have to get rid of some things, especially me, and that we would have a lot of organizing to do as we made this adjustment.
Every available three bedroom house has had busted pipes this winter, every single last one.  Which means that we won't be able to move into a three bedroom house until next school year some time.  So what do we do?  Do we live out of two houses till one is available?  Do we move into one or the other person's house until space opens up or do we move into one of our houses until we actually NEED the extra space and just make things work.
Paying two rents after the wedding seemed silly, and moving a lot in a row seemed like more of a hassle than it was worth.  So moving into one of the houses and staying there for about a year seemed like the most reasonable plan.
But which house to move into?  Neither one of us wanted to give up our houses.  This is the first house I've ever been on my own in.  That was only a small part of why I wanted this house, since I never planned on living in this house forever anyway.  Most of why I wanted to stay in this house was because it has the most space and the most storage room.  My house is also cheaper to heat.
I was willing to consider Pam's house since she is really attached to it and it has a bigger yard for the dogs.  Those were the two best things that I could see about that house.
What I didn't really understand though was how much Pam was going to hate moving into a duplex.  Especially since late at night and early in the morning we can hear the neighbor's TV and or radio.  Pam had sworn that once she got a house there was no way that she was going to go back to living in an apartment, duplex, or anything like that.  My house, though it had more space represented a step backward.  Had I really understood all that at the time I would have just said that we would move into her place.  But I didn't, and Pam backed down and started crying which made me feel like a big fat jerk.
I had argued for the house because of the space and now I found myself saying that the space didn't matter and I didn't care about it anymore.  Pam and I went into my house and she cheered up by telling me how she was going to redecorate the apartment.  Her Dad called that night and gave me the message, "Give up Brent, just give up, she's a woman and she's going to have the house look the way she wants it."
Pam's Mom also called that night and she was a little upset that Pam had agreed to move into my duplex since she understands the way that Pam feels about it.  That got Pam thinking and led up to her making a demand.  "I want to keep Gus Gus,"  I nodded and said that would be great.
Gus Gus is her cat and I happen to really like that cat.  For whatever reason he doesn't like men, I am the only man he has ever liked.  It was one of those things that led Pam to start thinking that there was something special about me.  So, Gus Gus is an important cat to me, he helped us out you could say.
I'm just happy that we have a plan that we are both happy with.
Here are some pictures of Gus Gus and my house.




No comments:

Post a Comment