Xander and Curtis

Xander and Curtis
Our little men

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Having, "The Talk," with Dogs

Angel is getting older and she is now larger than Bo.  Pam and I were worried about the possibility of her going into heat for the first time and getting pregnant.  A condition of having pets here is that we have to get them spaded or neutered.  I had already decided to have it done when she was still a very little puppy, but we needed to wait to do the surgery.  I had originally wanted to have the surgery done in Flagstaff, but she wasn't getting any younger and the biological clock was ticking.  We were rapidly running out of time.
We decided that we needed to have it done as soon as possible and that meant doing it in Pinon with Dr. Ruby, in the High School Science Room.  I wasn't thrilled about it but I realized it needed to be done.  Just before the surgery a male started hanging around the house.  He's a nice enough dog, we've started calling him Bear, due to lack of anything to call him and because he's constantly around.  I sat on the sidewalk and Bear came over and laid in my lap.  I looked at him and said, "I like you, you're a nice enough dog but if you get my Angel pregnant I'll kill you myself."
The operation went fairly well except from Angel's point of view.  She kept waking up during the surgery and so she kept getting dosed with meds.  The poor dog was so doped up by the time I got out of church that she could barely even sit up.  She spent the entire afternoon sleeping and occasionally attempting to move.  Getting up usually was followed by falling on her face.  She whined a lot as you could imagine and eventually she curled up on my massive red bean bag chair and spent the night there.  In the morning when I checked on her she hadn't moved at all during the night.
That morning though, her head up, ears pointed, and tail wagging, I knew that she had already recovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment