Xander and Curtis

Xander and Curtis
Our little men

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Cougar for a Neighbor?

Pam and I were chatting one night when we heard a noise that was like a roaring growl.  Pam wondered what it was.  I didn't know but it was definitely feline.  I suggested it could be a mountain lion or a bobcat.  We sat a little longer and the roar came again, whatever it was, it was big.  We talked about the noise for a while and I was content to sit in the house and not know what it was.
Pam however was scared and insisted that I go outside to see what it was.  I went out side and grabbed a large metal rake with good and jagged edges, not particularly wanting to use it but at least I'd look scary.  I then walked along the fence banging the rake against it several times.  I got as close as I dared to the spot where the noise came from when Pam told me to go closer.  I sighed and stopped acting afraid.  I walked toward the spot banging the rake until I could see that whatever it was had left.  I returned to the house and neither of us knew who the backyard visitor had been.
We went back outside the next day and found large paw prints.  Pam later talked to someone and was told that there is a mountain lion near by, typically doesn't come near the housing unless it feels threatened.  I admit, I love animals and there is part of me that would have liked to have seen the beast.  For the most part however I hope to avoid such an incident, I'll leave it alone and trust it to do the same to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment