Xander and Curtis

Xander and Curtis
Our little men

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Death of a Rattlesnake

Well, I was in a public place, I won't say where, when someone shouted to bring a shovel.  I went over to find that a small rattlesnake had been bashed on the head.  The rattlesnake was in a place where small children play, a lot.  So, I watched a rattlesnake get beheaded.  It was kind of cool, but unsettling as the body took its sweet time, about a half hour, to actually die.  Here are a couple of pictures of the snake with its head still.
The Navajo people consider these snakes extremely bad luck.  They will even go completely off the roads just to hit them.  That's probably why this is the first rattlesnake I've seen.  My neighbors chased one very close to my house last year, and I'm pretty sure that I heard one when I was walking the dogs, but this is the first that I've seen myself.

The night that I wrote this I found out that the people who killed the snake also ate it.  They reported that it was some of the best meat they've ever had.  I've always heard that rattlesnake meat was REALLY good and I wish I could have tried some, but, that was a really small snake.

No comments:

Post a Comment