Xander and Curtis

Xander and Curtis
Our little men

Friday, June 5, 2015

Signing Off

I have truly loved my time here in Pinon.  Teaching the students here, whether it was History, Spanish, Wrestling, Cross Country, or Education Professions, it has been a privilege and an honor.  I have come to love the Navajo people and their land.  This experience has become etched onto my very soul.

In addition to being a teacher at a public school I have also been able to perform many services for the church as a 1st Counselor, an Elder's Quorum President, a Branch President, and a Clerk.  I have performed two weddings, six funerals, and given countless lessons from the Holy Bible and Book of Mormon.

Most importantly while here I have grown as a person.  I have gotten married to a wonderful woman and had two beautiful sons.  I am so glad that God has allowed me to have all of these wonderful experiences and that I have been so honored to have.

Coming here and living this life has been very similar to when I was a missionary for two years in San Jose California.  Back then I dedicated myself to the Lord and helped my fellow man 24/7 for two years.  I have been here five years and while I have been allowed to be more selfish here and do many things for my own benefit, I have done an incredible amount of service here.

Just as I miss the people of San Jose, California, I will now miss the people of Pinon, AZ.  These lands have become a big part of who I am and where I will be going.  My next adventure is Memphis, Tennessee.  In addition to a new job I am looking forward to earning my masters degree.  I hope to see you there.

If not, perhaps you should come to Pinon.  Meet its people, taste its food, enjoy its art, and serve this community.  There is a great need for good teachers here.  I know that someone needs to take my job.  Pinon is the number one school district in Navajo Nation.  The students are great, I love them.  This is more than a job it is a life experience that will benefit you in every way imaginable and it is an adventure.  I believe that as humans we need adventure, we need wonderful and unique opportunities to go out and do something incredible.  I have taken the path less traveled, will you?

Will you venture out of comfort to a the place where the road ends and the wild west begins?  I hope that you will.  This is a great community and they need you.

Wishing you all the best,

Brent Maynard
Husband, Father, Elder, Educator
BA in History

No comments:

Post a Comment