Xander and Curtis

Xander and Curtis
Our little men

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Shade for Bo

I moved into the house late July.  There were no trees or really any source of shade for Bo who I was determined should be an outside dog since he is shall we say, crazy beyond all reason.  Being monsoon season as the locals call it, when it wasn't pouring down rain it was burning hot, since it is after all Arizona.
When I got home from Gallup I was determined to get the canopy up immediately, despite the pounding rain, harsh winds, and lightning.  I soon discovered that doing any sort of building work in those conditions with a broken finger just doesn't work.
After my faliure with the canopy I decided that I should at least build the doghouse I had gotten in Gallup.  Again my broken finger was constantly in the way.  The doghouse was designed to be very difficult to put together and therefore impossible for the dog to take apart.  After two and a half hours of trying to build something, anything so that dog could be more comfortable outside, I gave up and let the dog sleep in the laundry room for the night.
I asked the missionaries in the area for help and I fed them a good meal for the trouble, the first meal I had cooked in Pinon.  The work with them was much easier, they had the canopy up and the doghouse built in no time.  One of the Elders was quite the handy man.
The winds in Pinon are a constant day to day thing and they are strong.  Once the canopy was up it wasn't difficult to set it back up when it fell down.  However, after setting it back up half a dozen times in a couple of days I decided that I was done.  I needed metal twist ties.
When my parents came to visit me Dad and I went out and tied three of the legs to the fence.  The fourth leg was buried almost a foot into the ground surrounded by rocks and packed dirt.  Not long after my parents left there was a big wind storm, the buried leg was ripped out of the ground and one of the legs that had been tied to the fence snapped.  I then bought a large pipe to go in the middle for even more support but the wind kept blowing so that I could not work on it.
Yesterday I set it back up again, replaced the broken parts and reburied the pole.  I then dug another hole and put in the middle pole.
Tonight I noticed that the supporting rods that make the arch in the canopy came undone during the storm and ripped a massive hole in the canopy.  I looked at it shook my head and wondered how I was going to fix that.  I looked at the buried fourth pole, it has moved around a lot, considering all the rocks I put down there.  The center pole however stood firm and strong.  At least I had done something right and its still standing!

No comments:

Post a Comment